Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking dedicated lawyers who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income adult and youth victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence and stalking. This attorney will assist victims with a holistic approach in all aspects of their case, will collaborate with local community partners and local community programs in Tuscola, Sanilac, Huron, St. Clair and surrounding counties. This is a limited term position anticipated to last until September 30, 2021, depending on availability and resources. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
• Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct.
• Treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
• Represent clients in litigation cases.
• Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
• Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and referrals.
• Participate in client outreach and community organizations.
• Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctor
• Admission to Michigan Bar (or graduation from law school within one year and waiting for bar results)
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills
• Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
• Experience in housing highly preferred
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
* Do not delay. Applications will only be accepted until February 15, 2021, or until the position is filled. *
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.