Organization Overview: Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Position Overview: Lakeshore Legal Aid is seeking a dedicated Systemic Advocacy Staff Attorney who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Staff attorneys will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. In addition to individual client representation, staff attorneys are expected to be active in the community through participation in outreach and community organizations. Staff attorneys will treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
• Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with Lakeshore’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct.
• Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums.
• Engage in appellate work, complex, and major litigation.
• Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
• Participate in client outreach and community organizations.
• Ensure compliance with funding requirements.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctor
• Admission to Michigan Bar
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills
• Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website site: lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications will be accepted until 5 pm, March 22, 2024, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.