SUMMER LAW CLERK – Metro Detroit, MI
Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
LLA is seeking dedicated law students who will advocate and litigate on behalf of low-income and senior clients. Summer Law Clerks will be responsible for representing clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through advocacy including litigation. Due to COVID-19, we expect to see an influx in cases in housing, unemployment benefits, and domestic violence and expect Summer Law Clerks to assist clients on those topics. In addition to individual client representation, Summer Law Clerks are expected to treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect. This position is temporary.
- Provide high quality legal representation to clients in accordance with LLA’s Advocacy Manual and Rules of Professional Conduct with the supervision of a licensed attorney per MCR 120
- Represent clients in litigation, administrative advocacy, and other advocacy forums.
- Provide counselling, advice, and other brief services and
- Participate in client outreach and community
- Ensure compliance with funding
- Other duties as
- Law Student in a law school approved by the ABA who has received a passing grade in law school courses and has completed their first year; preference will be given to those students who have completed their second year
- Ability to commit to work for 20-40 hours per week for 12 weeks
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
This is a paid law clerk position for the Summer term. Applicants must be able to start on May 17, 2021.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Applications will be accepted until 5 pm, April 30, 2021, or until the positions are filled, whichever is sooner. **