Organization Overview: Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore is seeking a dedicated lawyer who will advocate and litigate on behalf of homeowner-occupants at risk of homelessness due to lack of access to the probate court. This staff attorney will be responsible for representing residents of Detroit in probate court and litigating decedent estates with real estate. Clients may also need assistance with property tax foreclosure, property tax hardship applications or quiet title actions, as examples. The position will be housed in the Cass Corridor litigation office. Staff attorneys will treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
General Task Areas:
• Provide timely civil legal services to low-income and senior clients and client groups through representation in trial courts, appellate courts and other forums, through litigation, advice, negotiation, drafting and review of legal documents, referrals and administrative advocacy.
• Serve the clients in a holistic and client centered manner.
• Develop an expertise in one or more areas of law, if required.
• Promote and maintain civil and professional relationships with coworkers, clients, members of the judicial system, and members of the public with whom they have contact, treating all with dignity and respect.
• Train or mentor other staff in areas of experience.
• Create and/or deliver presentations to community groups on legal services related topics.
• Develop continuing expertise to handle increasingly more complex litigation or other projects.
• Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the supervising attorney, a director, CEO, or a CEO designee.
• Graduated from an accredited law school.
• Admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan, or an application at the first opportunity for admission by reciprocity, or by taking the first available bar exam.
• Demonstrated interest in the area of poverty law and working with low- income individuals. Able to communicate effectively, be empathetic and understand the diverse clients of the poverty community.
• Ability to deal effectively with all people under difficult circumstances.
• Demonstrable skills in litigation, advocacy, interviewing, and drafting legal documents.
• Demonstrated ability to plan and organize multiple tasks.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
Starting annual salary for an attorney licensed in Michigan ranges from $60,000 and is commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, paid time off and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Do not delay. Applications accepted until 5 pm, April 19, 2024, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.