STAFF ATTORNEY - Southfield, MI
Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Lakeshore Legal Aid’s Counsel and Advocacy Law Line (CALL), a legal aid hotline, is currently hiring full time Staff Attorney. Our office is located in Southfield, Michigan. The position offers an excellent learning experience with diverse legal subject matters, a unique working environment, rewarding and meaningful work. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, candidates will begin work on a remote basis.
• Provide advice and brief services to low-income individuals and client groups on housing, public benefits, family law, etc. with sensitivity to those in crisis is preferred.
• Demonstrate strong research and organizational skills, the ability to effectively communicate verbally and in-writing, and well-developed analytical and computer skills.
• The ability to handle a high call volume, ability to problem-solve, and patience/sensitivity to handle people in crisis.
• Juris Doctor
• Admission to Michigan Bar (or graduation from law school within one year and waiting for bar results)
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills
• Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
• English, Spanish and Arabic speaking attorneys are encouraged to apply
• Flexibility to work until 6 p.m. as needed
Salary is commensurate with qualifications. Full time positions include excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term disability, long-term disability, retirement plan, vacation and personal time.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
** Applications accepted until 5 pm on November 6, 2020. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.