MLS – Staff Attorney
The staff attorney will work under the direction of the Executive Director of Michigan Legal Services. The ideal staff attorney will have excellent writing, communication, and problem-solving skills. They will be able to work both independently and collaboratively and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The staff attorney will possess sound legal judgment, have the ability to think creatively, be able to quickly grasp legal issues and factual claims, and be compassionate and detail oriented.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conducting client intake including completion of all necessary forms for clients.
- Serving clients who will potentially need a variety of types of legal assistance including, but not limited to, Tax Foreclosure Prevention counseling, Mortgage Foreclosure Prevention counseling, Landlord-Tenant counseling and Eviction Prevention assistance, and Land Contract counseling.
- Providing Court Representation which may include physical as well as remote appearances in the state and federal courts and in related administrative proceedings, in addition to the preparation of pleadings
- Maintaining client confidentiality under all circumstances.
- Interacting with other staff to advise on and/or facilitate the execution of the organization's programmatic and/or operational initiatives.
- Drafting and filing legal documents with the appropriate government agencies.
- Collecting and tracking necessary documents for client service and reporting
- Drafting correspondence to clients and government agencies.
- Participating in various organization staff meetings.
- Providing other assistance that may be necessary to further the goals of the program or the organization.
- The attorney will represent clients in court or at virtual hearings as determined by the Court and by MLS; and also, will work at the MLS office.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Michigan Legal Services.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $55,000.00 - $66,000.00 per year
- 100% premium paid Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD, Group Life insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Generous Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Wonderful Paid Holidays
- 8-hour shift
- Mi Bar License (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Detroit, MI 48201