Lakeshore Legal Aid serves low-income people, seniors, and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in a holistic manner to address clients’ legal issues and improve our communities. Lakeshore provides free direct legal representation in southeast Michigan and the thumb and client intake, advice, and brief legal services throughout Michigan via our attorney-staffed hotline. Our practice areas include housing, family, consumer, elder, education, and public benefits law.
Pro Bono Managing Attorneys are responsible for leading staff and volunteers to ensure that Lakeshore represents clients in a holistic manner to achieve clients’ goals through litigation, advice and brief service, and systemic advocacy. Pro Bono Managing Attorneys will work closely with the Pro Bono Director to identify systemic legal problems and develop and implement impact litigation. In addition to recruiting, supporting, and mentoring volunteer attorneys and staff, Pro Bono Managing Attorneys will provide direct services to clients and outreach in the community. Pro Bono Managing Attorneys also will ensure compliance with funding requirements. Staff are required to treat clients, co-workers, and others with dignity and respect.
• Supervise law students, recent law graduates practicing pursuant to MCR 8.120, and support staff to ensure holistic, high quality legal representation is provided to clients.
• Provide high quality legal assistance to clients in accordance with Lakeshore Legal Aid’s Advocacy Manual and Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct.
• Monitor substantive legal work and provide consultation, advice, and support to volunteer attorneys.
• Ensure volunteer attorney and staff development through mentoring and training.
• Ensure compliance with funding requirements, policies, and procedures.
• Prepare and draft required funder reports.
• Provide client services as needed by maintaining a caseload and co-counseling with volunteer attorneys or providing advice and brief service to clients seeking access to Lakeshore’s services.
• Identify, develop, and implement advocacy strategies to address systemic legal problems.
• Develop and maintain a productive work environment.
• Recruit pro bono attorneys, large law firms, and other licensed professionals to handle pro bono work and support staff in recruiting pro bono attorneys to handle pro bono cases and assist clients at clinics.
• Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the CAO, CEO or a CEO designee.
• Juris Doctor
• Admission to Michigan Bar (or ability to be admitted through reciprocity)
• 5 years or more practice experience required
• Prior supervisory experience preferred
• Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills
• Ability to lead and motivate, experience leading volunteers preferred
• Ability to organize, plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure
• Recognition of the importance of networking and enthusiastic participation in connecting with the community
Starting salary for a Managing Attorney licensed in Michigan is $75,000 commensurate with qualifications and includes excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance/AD&D, short-term and long-term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off.
To apply, submit your cover letter and resume at our website www.lakeshorelegalaid.org
**Do not delay, Applications will only be accepted until October 20, 2023, or until the position is filled. **
LLA values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer