Under the general direction of the Chief Referee or Senior Referee, the Family Division Referee ensures the efficient disposition of cases by conducting hearings and rendering recommendations in Family Division cases, with diligence, respect, and professionalism, and in accordance with the law and Court policy. Employees in this title are expected to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Ensures the efficient disposition of cases by conducting hearings in accordance with the law and Court policy and issuing recommended orders in Family Division cases.
- Makes written, signed reports to the Court containing a summary of testimony given, a statement of findings, and a recommendation order.
- Drafts proposed orders and recommendations.
- Serves on assigned committees.
- Manages the courtroom.
- Recommends procedural and policy changes to management.
- Submits statistical reports in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Reviews petitions to ensure that certain criteria have been met.
- Regular and predictable attendance at the job site (courtroom, division/department office, or field assignment).
- Serves in either Family Division Section as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited law school.
- Member of State Bar of Michigan in good standing.
- Five (5) years of paid experience in the practice of Family Law.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant statutes, case law, the Michigan Child Support Formula, and Court rules.
- One (1) year of paid experience in handling child custody or parenting time disputes, including providing assessments and mediations for families involved in legal conflicts.
- Proficient using MS Office Suite and relevant software and systems.
If you meet the minimum qualifications and would like to apply, Open Competitive Job Postings are accessible only through the Court’s external website: www.3rdcc.org , click on “Essential Links”, then under “QUICK LINKS” click on “Job Postings”. The direct link to this site is: https://secure6.entertimeonline.com/ta/6051784.careers?CareersSearch